Brief History of Los Banos~
This jaunty leader and his party on reaching the floor of the valley cantered right across the area where the City of Los Banos now stands.
These explorers were astonished to note the great wealth of natural life. Gazing in every way these Spaniards saw cranes, geese, ducks, herons, pelicans, curlew, antelope, deer, elk and grizzly bears all living their lives undisturbed. Prior to their visit only the local Indians had ventured into the region.
The following Spanish explorer to leave his name stamped indelibly on the region was Padre Felipe Arroyo de la Cuesta. He was a Franciscan monk who was stationed at Mission San Juan Bautista. He discovered pools of water in the stone in a little creek bed that flowed down into the San Joaquin Valley at the summit of the mountains. At these baths or pools he camped with his band of friendly Indians from the Mission. In time that extended moniker was reduced to “Los Banos Crick.”
The Post Office Department decided to establish a Post Office and named it after the creek, thus the name “Los Banos.”
(July 21, 1827 – October 14, 1916)
Henry Miller arrived in San Francisco in 1850 with $6.00 in his pocket. He became aware of the requirement for an improved level of cows.
He came to the San Joaquin Valley and started his property acquisitions and cows empire. Land was acquired by him on both sides of the San Joaquin River ultimately owning that land for a distance of 120 miles. In 1871 he formed the San Joaquin and Kings River Canal and Irrigation Company. He’s credited with being the first to introduce the crops of rice, cotton and alfalfa .
Miller made a great attempt to get the railroad to go through the West Side and that eventually decided the present day location of Los Banos. Agriculture remains the number one industry around Los Banos and this really is expected chiefly to the early success of Henry Miller.